Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Do You REALLY Need a JOB?

So Lizzy in my department turned in her notice last week to move back to Jackson to be closer to her family. Can I blame her? Not at all. I would do the same thing if my mom did not live close to me! So anyhoooo I have begun the tedious process of looking for someone to take her place. Boy has this been an experience for me!

I placed an ad on Monster and you would be so surprised at the responses I have gotten for a marketing assistant. I have gotten everything from someone working at Walmart, to someone that has never had a job, to someone that babysits--Not that there is anything wrong with the occupations I listed BUT I do need someone that meets my needs. I weeded through the applicants and found 4 out of about 40 that I decided to talk to. The first person was a guy(I guess I should say man)--he was probably in his twenties. He just graduated college. He was so funny b/c he was very eager to find a job! I remember being that young and excited about my "first" real job. He has GREAT potential.

Okay so on to my next applicant....or should I say victim? HA HA It was a lady that had worked at her last job for about 10 years. She says she left b/c of management changes but as I went on to find out I think she might have been "FIRED". I started out by telling her alittle about our company(Or should I say I was going to tell her)until she informed me that she already knew about my company b/c her previous job she worked for the company that handled our disability insurance. She didn't want to her my spill. I then moved on to my "canned" questions that I ask and take notes. As I began to ask questions and wait for her response I soon realized that she was not really interested in answering the questions but just talking about herself with no real "answer" in mind. She went on and on! So I finally made it through my "canned" questions. Next I usually call my girls in and let them meet the candidate and talk. I let them ask her questions and let the candidate ask them questions...Kinda of a meet and greet kinda thing. So the girls came in and introduced themselves and sat down. Some how the subject of team building came up. She quickly told me that she didn't like team building b/c her old job had team building. They went bowling and b/c of the team building activity she got the flu! REALLY? Do you really know for sure that is where you got it? She told me she would not participate in any team building activities where her health was in jeopardy! Okay whatever...moving right along. Next she told my girls how she left the previous job b/c of a management change and that they were ugly and pretty much pushed her down the elevator shaft to leave? Really??? HMMM! Okay so this was the topping on the cake she was talking about this time she hurt her foot and was out of work for a couple of days. She then says(now remember that she is working for a company that is the carrier for disability insurance)that if she had known the disability policy she would have taken her whole six weeks off! Okay so she is not on my list anymore!

Moving on to today. I had an applicant scheduled to come in at 10AM. So she calls HR around 9:55 and tells them she can't find the buidling. HR gives her directions, she says she will be there in a few. About 10 minutes later she calls back and says she can't find it and is just giving up. Okay so you don't want a job to bad do you???

So tomorrow I have two more applicants! Please Please let me find one more to put with my guy and then I can narrow it down!!!!

My theory is you must not need a job to bad if you aren't willing to try or even come to the interview!!!

I will update tomorrow on how my interviews go!!!

No comments: